The Center for Climate Protection seeks a Director of Communications to deliver upon the communication objectives in the organization’s five-year strategic plan to achieve the branding, public awareness, and development goals.
Under the direction of the Executive Director and in coordination with the executive team and the/Communication Committee, the Director of Communications:
- Develops and maintains the annual marketing and communications plan in alignment with the organization’s short-term and long-term strategic goals
- Supports and works closely with the Director of Development to ensure that the organization’s fund development goals are met
- Oversees CCP’s online/offline communications and outreach, identifying target audiences, developing key messages, and analyzing audience response rates and participation goals
- Directs and implements online/digital media strategy and activities including managing CCP website/s (updating/editing copy and graphics) and all social media portals (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn)
- Sets goals and implements strategies to significantly increase CCP enews subscribers and supporters
- Works with staff to meet annual goals to provide content for the website, blog, bi-monthly digital newsletters, and print publications
- Manages all organizational publications and materials
- Creates the annual report
- Creates a printed newsletter twice per year
- Develops, posts, and promotes videos that feature CCP program and supporter activity
- Coordinates and executes at least six specific donor email appeals per year; helps evaluate and analyze results
- Manages press relationships and media relations for the organization.
- Regularly distributes press releases and public announcements
- Helps develop events to spread the word about CCP accomplishments and keep programs and brand in the public eye
- Continually improves CCP’s professionalism, brand management, and consistency of message through appropriate policies and procedures
- Provides staff leadership to the Communications Committee
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
At least four years of experience and demonstrated ability in marketing and communication with a passion for the environment and climate protection.
Desired Skills and Qualities:
The position requires an entrepreneurial, personable, confident, methodical, inspiring, enthusiastic team member with a good sense of humor and proven track record who possesses a number of the following skills and qualities:
- Strategic thinking and the ability to see and frame the big picture to produce desired results
- Marketing experience demonstrating a track record of succeeding in executing big scope projects including fund development through to completion, with attention to details
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Experience with digital and social media marketing campaigns, managing and maintaining contact lists across communications platforms, and mastery of executing campaigns using Salsa Labs and/ or Salesforce-like software platform and Mail Chimp.
- Tech savvy
- Skilled in WordPress
- Skilled in graphic design and comfortable with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
- Mastery of and Microsoft Word and Excel
- Proven ability to craft and articulate clear, concise, compelling messages
- Experience leading and supporting volunteers and/or committees.
- Committed to and understand climate protection
- Proven ability to build relationships exceptionally well with donors and business people
- Very well organized and a strong team player
- Able to motivate people to take action, including meeting deadlines
- Able to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Able to use good judgment, take initiative, and recommend solutions to problems
- Strong meeting facilitator
- Good listener and a quick learner
- Own a car or have access to means of transportation required for work
- Live in Sonoma County or be willing to move to Sonoma County
Compensation commensurate with qualifications.
Please email your resume and a cover letter describing your interest in working as Director of Communications for the Center for Climate Protection including how you would approach this job, to Ann Hancock, Executive Director, Climate Protection Campaign at email@example.com.
The position is open until filled. We will start considering applications on June 30, 2016. Please no calls.
The Center for Climate Protection is an equal opportunity employer.