A free program for SF IABC members
Mentoring Program Summary
No matter what stage you may be in your career, one-on-one guidance and perspective from a mentor can be invaluable and help you take the next step or change directions.
SF IABC’s Mentoring Program occurs in eight-week cycles and offers both mentors and mentees the opportunity to learn and build a relationship that can have benefits long into the future.
The program pairs communication professionals at any level with communicators who have specific areas of experience or expertise.
All mentors are SF IABC members who volunteer their time. Mentees must be a member of SF IABC.
2017 Mentoring Program Cycle Dates
April-May – Apply here
We recommend that pairs meet four times over the course of eight weeks. These one-hour meetings can occur in person or via phone or video chat.
- Expand leadership and management skills.
- Create an opportunity to apply coaching, teaching and listening skills.
- Examine a new perspective outside the workplace.
- Give back and help build future leaders for the profession.
“I found the benefits of being a mentor to be threefold: It was a chance to give back to the professional community that I received so much from. But it also gave me the ability to “self-check” my own career path against the backdrop of someone else’s challenges and accomplishments. Finally, there was a sense of accomplishment about my historical career path and the opportunity to help a colleague.” – Testimonial from a past mentor
- Gain knowledge and insights related to general career growth or a specific area/topic (e.g., management, social media, branding).
- Benefit from one-on-one coaching.
- Receive direct feedback and perspective from someone outside your workplace.
“My career changed immediately after starting the program, and because I joined a startup, the insight of a seasoned professional was very valuable. The most important benefit was having access to a sounding board with experience and applicable skills. My mentor greatly assisted in the outlining of a strategic communications plan for my young company.” – Testimonial from a past mentee
Questions? Please contact Glenna Parks, Head of the Mentoring Program.