The Publications Editor manages the production of the official diocesan quarterly print magazine and monthly electronic newsletter — The Valley Catholic — to illuminate and animate the journey of faith for Catholics within the Diocese of San Jose — building solidarity among the faithful and inviting a deeper understanding and involvement in the mission of Christ — through the timely sharing of inspirational content in an engaging, accessible and compelling format.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
Strategy and Leadership:
• Work with Director of Communications to develop an annual editorial calendar and multi-year publication growth plan for The Valley Catholic that seeks to engage and inform Catholics, supports the mission of the Church and the vision of the Bishop.
• Recruit and manage third party content creators — volunteer and freelance writers and photographers — to assign and develop high quality story-telling content befitting The Valley Catholic.
Finances and Operations:
• Monitor and ensure The Valley Catholic operations stay within approved budget.
• Work with the Director of Communications and the Stewardship Office to garner sponsorships and additional funding in the support of The Valley Catholic, including managing a reader appeal.
Collaboration and Communication:
• Provide insightful, targeted, effective, faith-minded writing and editing on a regular basis in a variety of formats that supports the vision of the Bishop and closely adheres to and supports Catholic doctrine.
• Select photos and other pertinent material to enhance writing.
• Consistently meet all editorial and production deadlines.
• Consistently represent the Church and interview subjects accurately in all materials.
• Coordinate timely receipt and management of proper photo and information permissions regarding all publication content.
• Ensure consistency with style, branding and messaging across all publications.
• Ensure the review and approval of all content by the appropriate people at the three tiers of the edit process — in draft, in layout and prior to print.
• Regularly review and report on key performance metrics and analyze and offer suggestions for improvement in collaboration with the Director of Communications.
• Produce other diocesan communications publications, including the annual impact report, as needed.
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications or English
• Skilled storyteller with deep understanding of journalistic ethics and libel and copyright issues
• Minimum of 3 years of content management experience
• Understanding of print production, design and layout process
• Prior experience working with newspapers or other publications helpful
• Excellent grammar, writing and editing skills in English using AP style
• Bilingual preferred: Spanish or Vietnamese
• Proficient with the latest Microsoft Office software and Adobe Creative Cloud software
• Proficient with content management systems such as Constant Contact and WordPress
• Proficient with social media channels such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
• Must be able handle deadlines under pressure and prioritize accordingly
• Must have a keen eye for detail
• Excellent project management skills
• Possess a positive, service-oriented attitude and be a proven team player
• Practicing Catholic preferred
• Deep understanding of the teachings, values, structure and mission of the Catholic Church
• Work during evenings and weekends may be required occasionally.
• Be sensitive to cultural and racial diversity
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.