Founded in 2019 by Stephen and Ayesha Curry, the Eat. Learn. Play. Foundation is committed to unlocking the amazing potential of every child by fighting to end childhood hunger, ensuring students have access to a quality education, and providing safe places for children to play and be active. The Foundation’s grantmaking prioritizes Oakland and the wider San Francisco Bay Area community. In its first year, the Foundation began grantmaking and advocacy in its key issue areas, including advocating for school breakfast programs, helping 850 youth in pursuing their college dreams and supporting summer camp fees for 9,000 Oakland kids, among other activities.
Since the COVID-19 pandemic began in early March, Eat. Learn. Play. has played a significant role in hunger relief efforts in Oakland, building public and private partnerships to ensure children are fed as schools remain closed. The Foundation has provided support for the distribution of over 6.5 million meals and 10 million pounds of groceries to Oakland families and those in need. In year two, the Foundation’s grantmaking is projected to grow to $10 million+ annually, with the Foundation increasingly engaged in advocacy for pro-kid policies.
Reporting to the CEO, the Vice President of Communications will develop the Foundation’s communication strategy and lead all aspects of its communications and public relations. The Vice President will serve as a key ambassador for the Foundation, strengthening its recognition as an innovative Foundation committed to opening doors of opportunity for children in Oakland and beyond.
● Collaborate with the CEO and senior leadership to develop a communications plan and content calendar, and lead its implementation and evaluation.
● Lead the Foundation’s public relations work and manage its relationship with our PR agency-of-record. Oversee responses to media and communications inquiries about the Foundation.
● Support communications needs for the Foundation’s supporting partners (individual and corporate donors), program partners and grantee partners.
● Manage the development, distribution and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral, including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, donor communications, event signage and the Foundation’s website.
● Manage the Foundation’s social media activities, liaising frequently with key partners and stakeholders to ensure the Foundation has a regular, dynamic presence across relevant social media platforms, including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. Track and measure the level of engagement on communications platforms.
● Serve as Executive Editor for the organization’s website. Coordinate webpage maintenance and ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories and events) is posted regularly.
● Create compelling fundraising content for donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
● Lead the production of high-quality video content with a focus on telling the story of key Foundation programs, partnerships and events.
● Develop and refine the Foundation’s core messages and storytelling priorities.
● Manage design and production of the Foundation’s annual report.
Required Skills and Experience
The Eat. Learn. Play. Foundation is seeking a dynamic Vice President with a strong track record of success in overseeing partner relations, social media and website content, donor communications and advocacy campaigns. The ability to take information and transform it into compelling content and disseminate it to the target audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
● Demonstrated commitment to the Foundation’s mission and areas of focus.
● Highly collaborative style and experience developing and implementing communications plans, which includes a blend of PR, marketing, social media and advocacy work.
● Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
● Ability to coach and support senior leaders as spokespersons.
● A strong track record of managing and implementing a variety of initiatives concurrently and to completion.
● High energy and maturity with the ability to serve as a unifying force and position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
● Self-starter with the ability to work independently.
● Experience in building effective collaborative relationships in a culturally competent manner with partners, colleagues, constituencies, and internal and external teams across a variety of sectors.
● Trustworthy, with experience working with high profile individuals and maintaining confidentiality where appropriate.
● Computer literacy, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and Google Suite.
The Eat. Learn. Play. Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, creed, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws. Applicants must be eligible to work in the USA.
Candidates meeting the criteria are invited to apply and should submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.