Fehr & Peers, a transportation planning and engineering consulting firm, is seeking a Visual Communications Designer to join our Corporate team in Walnut Creek.
Our Corporate Communications team brings the innovation, service and difference of Fehr & Peers to life through creative and strategic branding, visuals and messaging. We’re seeking a creative visual communicator with a background in building a brand and the ability to reflect and translate our company’s strengths and differentiators to foster partnerships with clients and beyond. This position is ideal for a designer who combines graphic communication, project management and groomed experience in learning to ‘speak’ transportation with a passion for empowering others, generating creative ideas and translating goals into actionable outcomes across a variety of applications. Our energetic and creative team looks forward to collaborating with a candidate who will be:
- Able to inspire others toward shared goals with a commitment to collaborating, connecting patterns and people together with a united focus, and training and mentoring others.
- Dialed in on the tools needed to succeed, having a strong understanding of graphic design principles and awareness of current trends, proven experience with high-quality graphic production and an interest in leveraging new technologies and techniques.
- Representative of a natural trusted advisor, who values client service and demonstrates a consultative approach when exercising experience in brand management and articulating various forms of communication.
- Motivated to raise our bar for visual communications as a top-notch achiever and strategic thinker with an eye for the big picture and a knack for finding creative ways to achieve goals.
Quotes from our Team
- Tamara, Senior Graphic Designer
I’m looking forward to partnering with a fellow designer to share knowledge, collaborate on new approaches and test ideas. Together we’ll explore our creativity and discover innovative ways to take our design concepts to new levels.
- Lauren, Communications Manager
This position plays an important role in our branding, so an intuitive leader and strategic thinker with the motivation to contribute to the overall evolution of our firm’s communications would be an excellent fit for our team. Whether it is for a single project or part of larger, overarching goals, we need a self-starter to identify needs, share ideas and collaborate effectively with everyone involved.
- Chris, Principal-in-Charge of Research & Development
As a consulting firm focused on innovation, we rely on our Communications team to constantly have a finger on the pulse of the latest design trends to keep us at the forefront of visualization, messaging and communications. Our ideal new designer will be adept at intuitively and strategically knowing how to design and message to the audience at hand.
- Practice adaptability and strategy in work processes and messaging amid the COVID-19 pandemic and as times and needs change.
- Serve as a valued member of our Corporate team, working to support office autonomy and minimize bureaucracy by remaining solutions-oriented and customizing our approaches.
- Play an important role on our five-person Corporate Communications team and collaborate with Visual Communications (Viscom) staff members throughout our markets.
- Contribute to company-wide initiatives by participating in the planning and execution of actions shaping the Fehr & Peers visual identity and messaging.
- Act as an ambassador of the brand, partnering to provide education on embodying the firm’s Style Guide and identifying opportunities for enhancement.
- Provide engaging design to translate transportation, promotional and/or cultural messages into intuitive graphics, websites and/or social media collateral.
- Work together with a team of technical professionals, supporting day-to-day operations and forward-thinking goals by applying your knowledge of visual communications to distill complex concepts into intuitive and relatable visuals.
- Continually share ideas and examples with colleagues.
- Collaborate with diverse consultant teams on marketing and project deliverable strategies.
- Manage time and workload effectively in a fast-paced, high-volume environment with the encouragement of work/life balance.
- Excellent visual and written communication skills
- Established portfolio demonstrating visual design capabilities
- 5+ years of work experience as a visual designer and general business marketing experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- 5+ years of project management experience, with a demonstrated ability to collaborate, train, mentor and influence the work of other designers
- Understanding of transportation planning and engineering principles and applications, or the aptitude to pick it up quickly
- Strong interpersonal skills, a dedicated commitment to collaboration and a creative approach to problem-solving
- Superior organizational skills and the ability to multitask
- Passion for learning new industry standards and cutting-edge software programs
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop)
- Proficiency in MS Word, Microsoft PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat
- Basic web design experience using WordPress or similar software
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS
- Experience with 3D visualization software
This position will ideally work out of our Walnut Creek location alongside fellow Corporate and Communications team members, but we remain flexible should the right candidate be nearer to one of our other office locations and willing to travel a few times per year to the Corporate office as travel becomes safer and more feasible.