Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory has an opening for an Executive Communications Specialist to join the Strategic Communications team. In this role, you will be responsible for helping to develop and execute long-term communications plans and campaigns primarily related to the Operations Areas at Berkeley Lab. Your primary focus will be to provide end-to-end, client-focused communications services to the Deputy Laboratory Director for Operations, Deputy Chief Operating Officer and Operations Division Directors that will result in presentations, videos, speeches, talking points, emails and other forms of communications with consistent and strategically impactful messaging that engages and informs audiences about Berkeley Lab’s priorities, and that are in line with the Laboratory’s overall internal and external communications strategies.
This is a great opportunity to work with an experienced Strategic Communications team to contribute to our culture and build a rewarding career with a highly regarded research institution that focuses on world-class team science.
What You Will Do
• Collaborate with Operations leadership and staff to scope, plan, schedule and create presentations for the Deputy Laboratory Director for Operations/Chief Operating Officer.
• Collaborate on the alignment of Berkeley Lab’s Operations messaging across all audiences and serve as primary communications point of contact and support for the Chief Operating Officer’s external and internal communications. Build a strong relationship and understanding of the executive’s style, voice and preferences.
• Engage in strategic discussions with senior leaders and other Berkeley Lab stakeholders to collaboratively develop and maintain high-level communication priorities and products that effectively communicate the senior leader’s vision and strategy.
• Collaborate closely with the Strategic Communications team, Operations leadership and other senior leaders to map out meaningful engagements in support of institutional goals.
• Manage end-to-end internal and external communications plans, tactics and outcomes, including the frequency and channels of communication. Ensure appropriate cross-functional input and reviews.
• Design and produce communication products that will engage and inform a variety of internal and external audiences, including slide presentations, videos, speeches, talking points, scripts, emails and live meetings.
• Develop change management communication plans and materials; exercise judgment in selecting methods to obtain results.
• Interact with and provide effective counsel to Operations executives, providing advice that reflects an understanding of the organization, the leadership style and voice of the executive, and the highest standards of communications, public relations, change management and other relevant expertise.
• Provide voice of the customer feedback for various operations units.
• Support the Lab in an emergency or crisis as a trained public information officer.
What is Required
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or related field and at least 5 years of related experience in institutional communications, including internal and executive communications; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience counseling and working directly with senior executives.
• Track record of deploying best practices for communicating technical information to a variety of audiences. Ability to break down complex material into digestible bits of information.
• Creative problem solver.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; video, graphics or other multimedia expertise a plus. Demonstrated track record of producing creative slide presentations and other communication materials.
• Track record of strong project management skills, including experience building and executing new programs and managing them to scale and simultaneously managing multiple projects against tight deadlines.
• Effective team player who can meet project deadlines with exceptional attention to detail and lead efforts across disciplines.
• Ability to work successfully and collaboratively in a matrixed organizational structure.
• Demonstrated ability to create and execute a prioritized communications plan, including experience evaluating effectiveness of communication activities and recommending areas for improvement. Ability to identify communication problems to be solved and actionable items to amplify to Operations leadership.
• Proficient in the use of office software, including Google suite and Microsoft Office. Proficient in WordPress and Google sites. Expert-level PowerPoint skills.
• Ability to work on site as needed (at least 2 to 3 days per week).
• This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley.
More details and apply here.