Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory has an exciting new opening for an Internal Communications Specialist to join the Strategic Communications team. In this position, you will work closely with Berkeley Lab Operations and Strategic Communications leaders and staff to develop communication campaigns, articles, messages, web content and other communication products for Lab employees and other audiences. You will be responsible for helping to develop and execute long-term communications plans and campaigns primarily related to the Operations Areas at Berkeley Lab.
Please submit your resume and requested writing samples by May 3, 2021. For the writing sample, you are requested to attach to your submission:
- A profile of an employee (300 words maximum) and
- A short piece explaining that the power will be out for a building for 3 days due to electrical upgrades (150 words maximum).
Level of Experience – at least 5 years of experience in some combination of working in internal communications, public relations and/or organizational communication
Education Requirements – Degree in journalism, public relations, English, communications or equivalent; or an equivalent of combined education and experience
- Background in internal communications, crisis management and/or business operations.
- Experience with various internal communication channels, positioning messages according to the distinct needs of each constituency, and ensuring that messages are accurate, polished and of a quality and tone consistent with the organization’s leadership and culture.
- Ability to effectively leverage social media.
- Demonstrated success consulting and working effectively with senior leadership within a large organization.
- Experience in researching issues and developing clear, concise messages that explain an issue and the intended strategic direction, and articulating its impacts.
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and succinctly for a variety of audiences.
- Experience in coordinating and executing live events, such as town halls and employee meetings.
- Ability to work independently and within cross-functional teams to achieve desired outcomes.
- Access to a knowledge base of best-in-class trends, tools, approaches, resources and peers through professional society engagement and professional networks.
- Effective time and project management skills with the ability to prioritize work assignments, work collaboratively with others and adjust schedules based on changing requirements.
- Help develop and execute long-term communications plans and campaigns that directly address business challenges, building a Lab culture through communications and events, increasing employee engagement and turning ideas into engaging communication products using a variety of communications tools.
- Work closely and collaboratively with Berkeley Lab’s Operations and Strategic Communications leadership and staff to understand the Lab’s operations and team culture.
- Develop and negotiate crisp key messages that reflect an understanding of the integrated nature of Berkeley Lab’s research, operations and culture.
- Plan, research, write, edit, prioritize, schedule, curate and assist in the distribution of messages, articles, summaries, talking points, web content and other communication products, including presentation development and delivery, for a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Organize and execute internal meetings and events that advance the communication plan and help build a healthy, connected Lab culture.
- Define measurement approaches, conduct regular measurement of communications tool effectiveness based on contemporary best practices and report these results.