Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory is seeking a Media Relations & Social Media Strategist to join the Strategic Communications Department. Strategic Communications shares and promotes Berkeley Lab’s scientific, institutional, and operational priorities and successes with key audiences inside and outside Berkeley Lab, which conducts world-class research that supports clean energy, a healthy planet and solution-inspired discovery science.
The Media Relations & Social Media Strategist will work with communications colleagues, scientists and leadership to achieve strategic communications outcomes for Berkeley Lab across multiple audiences. Priorities for this position include: developing strategies to raise the profile of Berkeley Lab and its research among key audiences; building relationships with key reporters, editors, publishers and producers; producing original social media content that engages our audiences and advances Berkeley Lab’s brand; earning media coverage in targeted outlets on topics related to identified Lab priorities; and deploying social media strategies and tactics to build key stakeholder relationships, including with key reporters.
A typical day could consist of working with science communicators and scientists to develop compelling written/visual/video/audio/interactive digital content packages, working with communications colleagues to develop outreach strategies that maximize impact, conducting targeted news media and social media outreach, developing and maintaining relationships with key reporters and stakeholders and analyzing and reporting communications outcomes according to meaningful indicators. You will also develop original social media content and media pitches. You are expected to support on-site media visits as well as prepare for and support emergency communications needs.
This communications position will draw from expertise in the tactics of media relations, social media, writing and editing, journalism, communications and public relations to help achieve organizational goals. The successful candidate will continually seek to improve and innovate, providing resourcefulness and professionalism to enhance the quality and impact of Berkeley Lab’s communications program.
What You Will Do:
• Coordinate with communications colleagues, scientists and leadership to develop and execute effective multichannel campaigns, promotions and digital initiatives that advance Berkeley Lab’s strategic priorities.
• Develop strategies to raise the profile of Berkeley Lab and its research among key audiences.
• Serve as a Berkeley Lab point of contact for, and build relationships with, members of the local, national and international news media, including sharing story ideas with reporters and coordinating internally to respond to requests from reporters, often on deadline.
• Achieve increased, targeted news media coverage of Berkeley Lab’s scientific work.
• Deploy social media strategies and tactics to build relationships with key stakeholders, including reporters.
• Work with department colleagues and Lab experts to produce original content in Berkeley Lab’s voice for publication to specific social media channels that engages, inspires and motivates the Berkeley Lab audience and advances Berkeley Lab’s brand.
• Stay informed of key achievements in selected scientific areas and work with experts in those areas to develop communications strategies.
• Monitor the national and international news for relevant connections to Berkeley Lab research.
• Plan and manage visits by reporters or TV or film crews to Berkeley Lab, including hosting visits as needed. Plan and manage exclusives, news conferences and briefings — virtual and otherwise.
• Coordinate with Berkeley Lab leadership to respond rapidly and effectively to breaking or negative news about the Lab, and monitor and prepare to address institutional issues that could negatively affect Berkeley Lab’s reputation.
• Prepare for and support effective social media activities during emergencies.
• Coordinate as needed with media relations colleagues throughout the Department of Energy and the national laboratory system.
• Help develop, coordinate and execute ongoing media training programs for key Lab personnel.
• Serve as a representative and ambassador for the Strategic Communications Department.
• Communicate with followers and respond to queries in a timely manner.
• Use analytics to produce and report metrics that inform future actions.
• Track and effectively utilize emerging trends in social media and digital storytelling.
What Is Required:
• Bachelor’s degree in English, communications or journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in social media, media relations, and organizational communications.
• A track record of media placements in national and national science publications.
• Demonstrated experience growing online audiences through engaging social media content.
• Demonstrated experience executing multi-channel communications campaigns that achieve specific strategic outcomes for the organization.
• Tech savvy and experience learning and working with common social media publishing and monitoring platforms (e.g. Sprout Social, Tweetdeck, Hootsuite), common media relations tool and platforms (e.g. Muckrack, Cision), and common communications tools and platforms (e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Google Suite, content management systems such as WordPress and Drupal, and other digital platforms).
• Strong demonstrated writing, editing and proofreading skills.
• Demonstrated experience measuring and reporting communications outcomes.
• Strong collaboration skills and ability to engage multiple stakeholders.
• Must be available and willing to occasionally work extended hours, including weekends and holidays.
• Background in science communications, writing and editing and journalism.
• Experience within a U.S. national laboratory or other science-based organization.
• Excellent short-form copywriting/editing experience.
• Strong work ethic and consistent attention to detail.
• Excellent analytical skills for measuring and tracking success and KPIs.
• Creative, artistic and experienced growing brand presence.
• Ability to work independently with excellent organizational and time management skills, including the ability to adapt rapidly to evolving priorities and meet deadlines.
• This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs and the skills, knowledge and abilities of the successful candidate.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• This position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule – a combination of teleworking and performing work on site at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA. Work schedules are dependent on business needs. Individuals working a hybrid schedule must reside within 150 miles of Berkeley Lab.