The Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) is the transportation planning, financing and coordinating agency for the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area.
The Public Information Officer – Digital Content and Communications position will be filled at the Associate level and is under the supervision of the Principal, Public Information and Social Media Communications. The selected candidate will develop content and drive innovative communication strategies for the Metropolitan Transportation Commission and the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG). Similar to content marketing in the private sector, the primary job responsibility of this position is to use best practices for web and other digital communications to engage interested Bay Area residents and organizations in MTC’s and ABAG’s projects and programs.
The person in this role will advance the story of the MTC’s and ABAG’s work through a range of digital communication media, and will manage projects from inception to delivery on time and within budget. This position will assist with strategic planning and be responsible for day-to-day content management of the agencies’ main websites and for monitoring, analyzing and reporting performance results. The successful applicant will be fluent in an array of web-based communication tools; will serve as an expert on website content marketing, trends, best practices, policies and emerging technologies; and will collaborate with staff across multiple agency sections to manage and enhance MTC’s and ABAG’s presence and interaction with their audiences and web communities/followers.
The successful applicant will have proven written communications skills to effectively inform and build support for MTC’s and ABAG’s activities; will have deep knowledge of content strategy principles and practices; will be familiar with the web development process from discovery to production and implementation; and will have demonstrated experience launching websites and creating content across a range of platforms.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The ideal candidate will have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• A variety of writing styles, including web writing, copywriting, and/or persuasive writing;
• Editing, copyediting and proofreading skills. Must be able to write about complex topics with clarity and style, and to cultivate over time a distinct and authoritative “voice” for the agencies in all materials produced;
• Web content strategy and best practices for maintaining compelling content over time;
• CMSs (Drupal, WordPress or similar) and basic ability to update digital products;
• Principles and practices of communication techniques, media relations, reporting and news writing;
• Best practices for involving the public in policy issues, including engagement with a variety of audiences from different socio-economic backgrounds;
• Proper English spelling and grammar, principles and practices of copywriting and AP Style;
• Content marketing principles, tools, engagement methods and measurement, especially for websites, blogs and emails;
• Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop or InDesign;
• User experience design principles;
• Best practices for content marketing and communications, web platforms and digital engagement;
• Web and digital communications accessibility standards;
• Website content management systems, especially Drupal, as well as website analytics tools (e.g., Google Analytics); and
• Methods and techniques for recordkeeping and report preparation and writing.
• Work with web developers, designers and/or other creative services professionals to execute web projects on time and within budget;
• Collaborate with senior management across the spectrum of an organization while advocating for user-centric voice and tone; and
• Effectively organize, prioritize and manage a high volume of assignments, with frequent interruptions, to complete tasks in a timely manner. Agility to adapt to frequent shifts in priorities. Strength in organizational and time-management skills.
• Knowledge of the Bay Area’s geography and governmental institutions is a plus, as is knowledge of transportation and housing issues.
• The ability to find opportunities to partner with other agencies and organizations on public education and outreach initiatives also is helpful.
An appropriate combination of education and experience that has provided the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way of obtaining the required qualifications is:
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English, liberal studies, rhetoric, political science, public policy, transportation or city and regional planning, or related field. (Applicants with a degree issued from an institution outside the United States must have their transcripts evaluated by an academic accrediting service and provide proof of equivalency along with the application.)
Experience: Depending on the assignment, three years of increasingly responsible and complex experience producing significant public information, public relations or media publications and campaigns; and/or overseeing major public outreach programs for a governmental or similar entity, including the equivalent of two years as an Assistant Public Information/Outreach Analyst in MTC.
License/Certificate: Possession of a valid California Class C driver’s license and a safe driving record, or the ability to provide alternate transportation which is approved by the appointing authority.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direction of the Principal, Public Information and Social Media Communications, the typical assignments and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Help define the content strategy and write clear and concise content across multiple touch points, including websites, newsletters and emails.
• Serve as the day-to-day content manager of agency websites and work as part of a team to produce content and digital engagement activities.
• Develop and maintain a website editorial calendar.
• Identify user content needs, develop strategy and execute content needs through user research, content audits, analytics and other methods.
• Plan, develop, produce and/or distribute content on various platforms (website, blog, email, etc.) to attract and engage various audiences.
• Develop, maintain and manage content for agency websites using the Drupal content management system.
• Ensure that all content is technically accurate, informative, engaging and audience-appropriate, as well as strategically delivered.
• Define metrics for measuring impact of communications and use results to refine or alter methods.
• Monitor and perform regular analysis of digital communications campaign performance results to make effective recommendations to improve strategies and goals.
• Adopt and enforce best practices, policies and procedures related to web and electronic communication programs, including web content and email.
• Work with cross-functional internal teams to ensure content and message are clear and consistent before work begins. Regularly evaluate existing content and edit for suitability and accuracy.
• Assist in managing internal and external resources to implement social media programs, projects and activities.
• Stay abreast of content marketing and digital communication trends, best practices and technologies.
• Ability to initiate, organize, prioritize and complete work in a timely manner despite deadlines and competing responsibilities. Establish positive working relationships with colleagues both within and outside the agency.
• Assist in writing and editing for a variety of audiences.
• Work with planners and with graphics or design staff to produce clear and compelling charts, graphs and other visuals.
• Perform research and analysis in the preparation of informational and promotional communications.
• Have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Represent the agency at meetings and events, including occasional evening and weekend assignments.
• Perform other related duties as required.
All employees at MTC are classified as Disaster Services Workers.
For more information about MTC, visit www.mtc.ca.gov.