|Primary Purpose||Reporting to the Internal Communications Director, the Writer/Editor assists with the development and implementation of effective communication strategies and tactics to inform the university community of news, events, activities and updates on strategic initiatives. Under general supervision and direction, develops strategies for the creation of compelling digital and print content for a wide variety of audiences and channels. Plans, writes, edits and manages content consistent with university brand, voice and style. The position is located in Stockton.|
|Essential Functions||1. Under direction of the internal communications director, contributes to the modernization of Pacific’s internal communications to elevate its storytelling and positively impact its brand. |
2. Manages development and implementation of communications strategies and tactics in support of departmental and university goals.
3. Conducts research on internal and external initiatives, including peer evaluations and benchmarking, gathering market data and intelligence and identifying best practices.
4. Creates and adapts new and existing content, in collaboration with the internal communications director and colleagues across the university, for the university’s internal and external communications, including the university’s internal and external websites, weekly employee e-newsletter, email blasts, print and digital communications and central university events calendar.
5. Plays integral role in development of university editorial style standards, staying abreast of industry best practices and editorial style guide updates.
6. Helps train employees throughout the university on editorial style and usage.
7. Supports the internal communications director in content strategy and development for executive communications and reputational issues/crises.
8. Proofreads and edits content for accuracy, clarity, consistency, grammar, style guidelines and strategic messaging.
9. Measures the effectiveness of communications efforts to inform communications strategies.
10. Identifies needs for and collaborates with web and creative teams in execution of graphic design of communication, including collection of artwork, photos and multimedia to support communications efforts.
11. Provides oversight or management of special communications projects such as developing new internal communications hub/intranet, new newsletters and publications, and expanded alumni/donor magazine.
12. Assists in creation and provision of training for university calendar, internal communications channels and other communications channels.
13. Values diversity and inclusion in day-to-day interactions and in creative recommendations and decision-making.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
|Minimum Qualifications||Education/Experience/Certifications: |
1. Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism or other related field.
2. Experience in planning, writing, editing and managing and measuring content for digital and print communication projects.
3. Experience using interpersonal, communication and active listening skills to build and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of internal and external constituencies.
4. Experience with various types of marketing and communications channels including social media, electronic newsletters, websites, etc.
5. Experience using computer software Windows, Microsoft Word/Outlook/Excel/PowerPoint.
|Preferred Qualifications||1. Excellent command of the English language, including grammar, writing, presentation and verbal communications.|
2. Excellent storytelling skills.
3. Outstanding proofreading and editing skills.
4. Experience leveraging digital strategy to tell brand stories.
5. Experience using Microsoft SharePoint and working with and within a CMS, such as Drupal.
6. Experience using project management and collaboration software, such as Asana or Trello.
7. Familiar with email marketing software, such as Constant Contact or MailChimp.
8. Familiar with creative content platforms such as Adobe Spark.
9. Familiar with intranets, social media platforms, apps and tools.
10. Familiar with Associated Press (AP) style.
11. Expertise in communications best practices, including use of photos, video, social media and text to communicate effectively.
12. Strong critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills.
13. Self-motivated, proactive and works well with minimal direction.
14. Customer-service driven.
15. Strong interpersonal skills, professional demeanor and an exceptional level of organization and attention to detail.
16. Ability to juggle many projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
17. Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity and inclusion.
18. Maintain a positive “helping” disposition and a stellar work ethic.